What should I do in case of a TORNADO?
Seek Shelter IMMEDIATELY When You Are In….
A structure (such as home, school, hospital, or shopping center):
- Go to a basement, storm cellar, or the lowest building level
- If there is no basement, go to the center of an interior room on the lowest level (closet, interior hallway) away from corners, windows, doors, and outside walls
- Put as many walls between you and the outside
- Get under a sturdy table ad use your arms to protect your head and neck
DO NOT open windows!
A vehicle, trailer, or mobile home:
- Get out immediately and go to the lowest floor of a sturdy, nearby building or storm shelter
Mobile homes, even if tied down, offer little protection from tornado
The outside with no shelter:
- Lie flat in a nearby ditch or depression and cover your head with your hands
- Be aware of the potential for flooding
- You are safer in a low, flat location
- Never try to outrun a tornado in urban or congested areas in a vehicle
- Instead, leave the vehicle immediately for safe shelter
- Watch for flying debris. Flying debris from tornados cause most fatalities and injuries.